SBB’s vision and strategy.
Mobility is undergoing a profound and comprehensive change. New customer needs, digitalisation, new mobility providers and regulatory developments are changing markets and business models. The SBB 2020 strategy and our vision provide some answers to this. We shape the mobility of the future – simple, personal, connected.
SBB is the backbone of the Swiss public transport system, and day-to-day rail operations are the basis of what we do. SBB has been transporting people and freight for more than 100 years. By doing so, we are making an important contribution to the quality of life and competitiveness in Switzerland. We want to continue this success story, even in times when the entire economy and society, including the mobility industry, are undergoing profound changes. We will therefore continue to fulfil our responsibility towards public transport and Switzerland in future.
We are facing great challenges.
- Our customers expect increasingly customised, intermodal, networked and simple mobility and logistics solutions. And they want the service to be both digital and personal. They justifiably expect their mobility data to be handled in a trustworthy manner. At stations, customers appreciate the optimised transfer connections between all modes of transport and the appealing range of services.
- At the same time, the competition between rail and road transport is intensifying. International long-distance coaches are already available, and national coaches are also under discussion. In future, self-driving vehicles will also be added. Other modes of transport are catching up – both in terms of price and environmental advantage. Sharing models are also becoming increasingly important.
- In contrast, the overall system costs of the railway are rising.
- New technology is accelerating developments on the mobility market.
- Coordinated planning between road and rail is needed.
- Regulatory and spatial planning requirements are intensifying.
- And the funding for public transport is increasingly in competition with other state responsibilities.
SBB’s vision and strategy provide answers to these challenges and take advantage of the opportunities.
Mobility service provider
We are a strong railway, a reliable mobility service provider and an attractive development partner.
- As a strong railway that can transport many people and goods, we remain the backbone of the public transport system in Switzerland. We focus on the strengths of the rail system and its large transportation capacity.
- As a reliable mobility service provider, we support our customers, allowing them to plan and book their journeys from door to door from a single source.
- As an attractive development partner, we develop stations and sites into mobility hubs, thus offering smart mobility.
The SBB 2020 strategy has six strategic objectives.
- Increasing customer satisfaction
- Improving results – securing finances
- Increasing reliability in the integrated rail system
- Focusing on our home market and networking with other countries
- Driving targeted innovation
- Encouraging and recognising the performance of each individual
We are implementing the strategy in a customer-focused way in five dimensions.
- We are curbing the increase in overall system costs by implementing “RailFit20/30”, an ambitious fitness programme.
- At the same time, we will be making targeted investments and further promoting innovation.
- We are improving our revenues and increasing the capacity utilisation of our trains.
- We will organise the entire mobility and logistics sequence chain for our customers.
- We will do this on the basis of a culture that encourages performance – all in line with SBB’s values: ambitious, responsible, flexible, passionate, respectful. This allows SBB to remain an attractive employer.
Mobility should be attractive and affordable for customers as well as the ordering parties – the cantons and the federal government. We are incorporating the existing uncertainties regarding future developments by thinking in scenarios.
The SBB 2020 strategy will thus lead us to the realisation of the SBB vision: We shape the mobility of the future – simple, personal, connected.