What is a MobileTicket?
The MobileTicket brings the ticket counter to you no matter where you are. With SBB Mobile you can purchase your tickets via your smartphone for travel within Switzerland. All you need to do this is the SBB Mobile app. You can download this free of charge in the iTunes App Store, Google Play or in the Windows Phone Marketplace.
After purchasing, the MobileTicket will be saved under Tickets on your smartphone. Important: as MobileTickets are personal and non-transferable, you have to show personal ID (passport or identity card) when tickets are checked. With the Half-Fare travelcard or GA travelcard it is sufficient to show the valid travelcard.
Functions of the app.
What can the SBB Mobile app do?
- "From", "to" and "via"
- "Take me home" function (shows current connections to the address, which is saved under "Settings", "Take me home address")
- Provided you have recorded the addresses of your telephone contacts, instead of entering the entire address you can also call up your telephone contacts. The address will then be added automatically.
Shows all connections between the selected stops.
- "From/to": the next stop, according to automatic positioning (provided this is permitted) or manual entry of a stop
- "Direction": the stop to/from which the connections should be displayed
- Display tickets (tickets already purchased)
- Buy tickets for Switzerland
- Buy tickets for fare networks
- Redeem promotional code
- New from SBB Mobile (start range update)
Most frequently requested departure and arrival locations. These are marked with a star and sorted alphabetically.
- News (rail traffic information, SBB press releases, tips and tricks)
- Process (shows a list of completed timetable queries with details of departure and arrival locations and time of the original request in the summary)
- Record/change "Take me home address"
- Reset user data
- Modify user data
- Show GTC
- Shake function (switch on or off)
- Contact search (switch on or off)
Range SBB Mobile.
Which tickets can I purchase as MobileTickets?
Using the SBB Mobile app you can buy the following tickets:
- Normal tickets for journeys within Switzerland (including fare networks)
- City-City Tickets
- Various travelpasses (1-day travelpass, valid from 9.00 a.m. and travelpasses for children and dogs)
- 1-day bike passes
- First-class upgrades
- Night supplements
- Seat reservation for journey within Switzerland
- Bicycle reservation (ICN only)
It is not yet possible to purchase international tickets and travelcards via the app.
Can I reserve seats using SBB mobile?
Yes. For journeys within Switzerland you can reserve seats for up to five people using SBB Mobile. The MobileTicket must be registered in the name of a passenger.
For the following reservations, please call Rail Service on 0900 300 300 (CHF 1.19/min. from a Swiss landline) or go to the ticket counter:
- Seat reservations in an SBB restaurant car
- Reservations for more than five people
- Reservations for tourist routes (e.g. Glacier Express, GoldenPass, etc.)
Can I buy fare network tickets as MobileTickets?
Can I also purchase MobileTickets for other people?
Yes. The “Ticket for accompanying passengers” offers the option of purchasing the same ticket for a maximum of 8 additional passengers travelling with you. The class and destinations cannot be changed. Please note: When buying tickets for accompanying passengers, you must travel together for the outward and return journeys. In the shopping cart you can "add other passengers". You will then be asked to enter the surname, first name and date of birth for the person. The first MobileTicket in the shopping cart is automatically shown to the person who is logged into the SBB Mobile App. If you hold a GA travelcard but would like to purchase a MobileTicket for a person travelling with you, select the "Change passenger" function.
Can I purchase MobileTickets for dogs?
Yes. You can buy a MobileTicket for dogs at half price 2nd class. The MobileTicket must indicate the name of the passenger.
Does the app also display my tickets from SBB Ticket Shop?
In the SBB Ticket Shop, you cannot display tickets purchased online in the SBB Mobile app.
Access / registration.
Do I have to register to purchase a MobileTicket?
Yes. You will be forwarded to one-off registration in the Ticket Shop. If you already have a login for the Ticket Shop, you can use the same login data.
Registration gives you the following advantages:
- Your data are saved and do not have to be re-entered when you next make a purchase.
- You can look at your orders at any time.
- You can print out your MobileTicket online and use it as an expenses receipt.
- You can store your means of payment and set this as standard. This will then be used each time you shop via the SBB Mobile app. The means of payment can be modified at any time in the Online Ticket Shop under "My account" – "Payment information".
- You can also use your login in the SBB TicketShop.
What should I do if I have forgotten the user name or password?
You can only request the user name or password again online in the SBB Ticket Shop. To do this you will require the e-mail address that you gave when registering.
If you do not receive an e-mail, you may have entered the e-mail address incorrectly, or the e-mail has been sent to the spam folder. If you have also forgotten the registered e-mail address, please open a new account.
Which preconditions does my password have to fulfil?
Please note the following points when registering:
- Capital/small letters to be used as appropriate.
- The password must consist of at least 6 letters.
- The password must include at least one number and one letter (no accents).
- The password should not include your user name.
Can I change my user name?
It is not possible to change the user name. However, you may open a new account with a new user name and a new e-mail address.
Can I change my password?
You can only change your password online in SBB Ticket Shop. "My account" – "Security settings". However, for security reasons the stored means of payment will automatically be deleted when the password is modified.
What do I need to purchase a MobileTicket?
When purchasing MobileTickets you will require:
- A smartphone with the SBB Mobile app (you can download this free of charge in the iTunes App Store, Google Play or Windows Phone Marketplace)
- A customer profile stored online in the SBB Ticket Shop (automatically recorded when first placing an order)
- A valid credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express Switzerland, Diners Club, JCB, myOne), PostFinance Card or prepaid card (Visa/Mastercard) saved in the profile
How do I purchase a MobileTicket?
You can purchase MobileTickets in three ways:
- Under "tickets" in SBB Mobile you will find the range of tickets that can be bought.
- Under "timetable" you can start the purchasing process for a ticket directly in the connection you have selected by pressing the key "Price/purchase" on the top right.
- Under "Favourites" you will find the departure and arrival locations you have most frequently selected. You can start the purchasing process for a ticket directly via this function.
Up to what point can I purchase my MobileTicket?
You may only buy your MobileTicket up to the effective departure of the means of transport.
Where is my purchased MobileTicket stored?
Purchased MobileTickets are stored under "Tickets", "Show tickets". Should a purchased ticket not be available, you can call this up again under "Show tickets", "Update tickets".
When the app is running, you can simply shake your smart phone gently and the last ticket purchased will be displayed straight away.
Was my purchase successful?
You can check whether the purchasing process has been carried out by looking in the SBB Mobile app under "Tickets". If the ticket is listed there, the purchase has been completed successfully. If the ticket just bought is not listed, select "Update tickets". If the ticket you purchased is not displayed, the purchase has not been completed and your credit card has not been debited.
Can I use Touch ID to confirm my purchase (iPhone)?
Yes. If you have an iPhone with a fingerprint identity sensor (5s, 6 or 6 Plus), you can use your fingerprint instead of your Ticket Shop password to confirm your ticket purchase. Before you can do this, the Touch ID function must be activated on your iPhone. Instructions on how to do this can be found on the Apple website.
Now go to "More" in SBB Mobile and then to "Settings" and activate the "Touch ID" option. All you have to do next is register the SBB Ticket Shop password for Touch ID in the same place.
How can I pay for a MobileTicket?
You can pay for MobileTickets using a valid credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express Switzerland, Diners Club, JCB, myOne), PostFinance Card, e-voucher or prepaid card (Visa/Mastercard).
If you do not already use a Ticket Shop login, please ensure that you register online in SBB Ticket Shop when you are asked, the first time you purchase a MobileTicket, and ensure that you save a means of payment.
If you would like to pay using a PostFinance Card, you must identify yourself at initial registration using the PostFinance Card reader. After successful initial registration using the card reader in the secure PostFinance environment, no subsequent verification is required for payments, and MobileTickets purchased via the SBB Mobile app are paid for using the registered PostFinance Card. For security reasons PostFinance has set a limit of CHF 500 per month. If the limit is exceeded, you must identify yourself using the card reader once again.
Debit cards and prepaid credit cards from other providers are not accepted. It is not possible to pay by invoice.
Will a payment be activated if the purchase is interrupted?
If the ticket ordered does not show under "Tickets", the booking has not worked and your payment card has not been debited.
Should you have any other questions on the means of payment, please contact your bank.
How do I obtain a receipt or VAT receipt?
The following two options exist:
Register with the SBB Ticket Shop via your user name and password. The MobileTickets you have purchased are listed under "My account", "My orders". To view the details of individual bookings, click on "Select".
To obtain a quarterly VAT receipt for the MobileTickets you have purchased, please proceed as follows:
Register with the SBB Ticket Shop with your user name and password.Under "My account", "For business customers: VAT receipts" you can activate the field "Please send me a quarterly VAT receipt for my Ticket Shop purchases".
Complete the mandatory fields and save the entries.
How can I adapt the payment options?
If you would like to change your means of payment, log into SBB Ticket Shop online using password and call up "Payment information" under "My account". Provided you are retaining your means of payment but wish to update this, you can also do this in the SBB Mobile app under "Settings", "Change user data". After entering your password you can adapt the payment options.
Validity / refund.
Which documents do I have to show to ticket inspectors?
The MobileTicket may only be used in conjunction with a valid official ID (passport or identity card) which relates to the passenger. For a Half-Fare Travelcard or GA travelcard, it is sufficient to show the travelcard.
For how long is a MobileTicket valid?
The MobileTicket is valid for that calendar day that was specified at the time of purchase. Subsequent changes or exchanges are usually not possible. If you do not make the return journey on the same day, please purchase a single ticket for each route.
Additional terms and conditions for Swiss tickets:
- Please note that fare network tickets are time-dependent.
- It is not possible to make a subsequent modification or exchange.
- MobileTickets can only usually be purchased 30 days before the journey
Can MobileTickets be refunded?
E-Tickets can only be refunded in the following cases:
- Proven inability to travel (illness, accident or death)
- Lack of seats in 1st class (confirmed by train staff)
- Where the passenger has forgotten their GA travelcard, Half-Fare travelcard or point-to-point travelpass
- Multiple purchase of E-Tickets (travel date, route and passenger – surname, first name and date of birth – are identical)
- E-Tickets with incorrect personal details (surname, first name or date of birth, provided this is an obvious input error).
- E-Tickets with an incorrect date, provided the journey to the destination on the ticket is no longer possible on this day according to the timetable. Example: the E-Ticket is purchased at 11.40 p.m. for the same day, and the final train connection to the selected destination already left at 11.30 p.m. The journey to the destination is therefore no longer possible on the day selected.
For the refund to be made, you must be able to show a new, correctly purchased ticket.
- Where you have purchased a 1-day travelpass without a Half-Fare travelcard or an OnlineTicket / MobileTicket at the full rather than reduced price.
- When you subsequently buy a personal travelcard for a minimum of 12 months.
- When you make a reconnaissance trip as part of a group journey.
If you have purchased an MobileTicket and have not used it for one of the reasons listed above, fill out the refund application online. A processing fee is charged for refunds.
*You can view the MobileTicket you have purchased online in SBB Ticket Shop under "My account", "My orders" and print it out as an expenses receipt.
Are MobileTickets transferable?
No. MobileTickets are personal and non-transferable. When tickets are checked you must therefore show a personal ID (passport or personal identity card). For the Half-Fare travelcard or GA travelcard it is sufficient to show the travelcard.
MobileTickets can only be displayed on the device on which the purchase procedure has been completed. You cannot forward MobileTickets via SMS, e-mail, etc.
My battery is dead and I am therefore unable to show the
MobileTicket. What should I do?
If you notice your mobile phone battery is dead before the train departs, we recommend that you buy another ticket at the ticket machines or counter straight away. You can then claim a refund for the unused MobileTicket. In such cases, you should fill out the refund application online. A processing fee is charged for refunds.
If you are unable to show the checking staff a valid MobileTicket, you must purchase another ticket. In such cases, a supplement for passengers travelling without a valid ticket is normally charged. It is preferable to check that the battery is charged before travelling and to take a charger with you.
Data security & authorisations.
What happens with my personal details (name, address, etc.)?
What does SBB Mobile require the authorisations for?
To use “Take me Home” effectively, the GPS function must be active to enable SBB Mobile to find the nearest station or stop. The same applies if you would like to have your nearest station or stop appear in the timetable.
SBB Mobile requires Internet access to timetable information and Ticket Shop data so that the app can answer your enquiries.
SBB Mobile requires access to your contact data so that you can import the names of your fellow passengers from your address book when purchasing tickets and can select contact addresses as your destination when making timetable enquiries (iOS, Android).
Calendar and e-mail.
You can save the results of your timetable enquiries to your own calendar and send route connections by e-mail (to friends, an external calendar). SBB Mobile requires read and write permissions to be able to import your selected timetable data into the calendar.
Reset user information.
The following data are deleted:
- Favourites that have been saved to the station list available offline
- The "Take me home" address saved by the user
- All entries in the "Favourites" and "Process" list, i.e. all timetables marked there.
This product is available in German, French, Italian and English.You can change the language by altering the general language settings on your smartphone.
If a language other than German, French, Italian or English is selected, SBB Mobile will usually be displayed in English.
Whom should I contact if problems arise?
Should your query not be answered under our FAQs, we will be pleased to assist you further.
Contact form (registration is not required)
Ticket Shop Hotline 0848 222 722 (Mondays to Fridays from 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m., local call charges apply)