General Terms and Conditions of SBB RailAway AG for individual travellers.
These General Terms and Conditions of Business for individual travellers (referred to below as T&Cs) regulate the following legal relationships between you as an individual traveller and RailAway AG, Lucerne:
Travel agent's contracts.
- Tour operator's contracts: a tour operator's contract refers to a combination of at least two tourist services or travel services for a single overall price, with the trip not lasting longer than 24 hours and not including any overnight stays/accommodation.
Package tour contracts as described in Art. 1 of the Law on Package Tours: this refers to a previously arranged combination of at least two transport, accommodation or other tourist services, lasting in total longer than 24 hours and offered at a single overall price.
- Unless otherwise agreed in writing with the booking office, these T&Cs apply to all package tour contracts, tour operator's and travel agent's contracts that you conclude with RailAway AG, Lucerne. The full description of the trip that is booked may include other notes and conditions that also form part of the contract.
- These T&CS do not apply to contracts for group travel (10 people or more). There are special prices and General Terms and Conditions of Business for groups (10 people or more). These can be obtained from the booking office and on the RailAway AG website.
- We recommend that you apply as soon as possible. For some offers, there is a last possible application date which you will find in the relevant description.
- Our booking offices are only able to accept special requests if they are designated as being without obligation. Special requests and secondary agreements only form part of the contract if they have been confirmed by the booking office in writing and without reservation.
- The contract between you and RailAway AG is concluded as soon as your application is unreservedly accepted by the booking office. If you book by phone, the contract comes into effect with the verbal agreement of the booking office. In the case of automated bookings or bookings over the Internet, the contract comes into effect once the service has been paid for.
- The person making the booking is liable for the payment of all services booked. In particular, it is the personal responsibility of the person making the booking that the ticket is not misused. All rights are reserved to initiate legal proceedings.
- The person making the booking is responsible for ensuring that their fellow travellers comply with all the conditions for travelling, that these T&Cs apply to all participants, that they follow the instructions of RailAway AG and the service providers and, in the case of foreign trips, carry the necessary personal identification with them and meet and comply with all entry and other requirements. In the case of foreign trips, the person making the booking will provide the booking office with a list of the nationalities of the travellers at the time of booking. The booking office will inform the group of the entry conditions for Swiss citizens and for citizens of the EU and EFTA as soon as possible. Participants of other nationalities should contact the relevant consulate for information. The person making the booking is responsible for ensuring that visas etc. are obtained in good time. If the necessary travel documentation (passport, visa etc.) is not issued, or is issued too late and the trip has to be cancelled or postponed, the terms stated in Section 6 apply.
- Participants undertake to handle carefully any sports equipment etc. that they are given and to return it in accordance with the contract. The participants themselves are liable for any damage, unless they can prove that they were not responsible for causing it. It is recommended that such equipment is checked for any defects when it is received, and any defects are reported.
- Participants are themselves responsible for complying with road traffic and FIS rules.
- The services provided by RailAway AG can be seen in the relevant brochure and on the tickets.
- The prices given in the brochures are from the main departure stations and are therefore not binding. The provisions of Art. 3 of the Law on Package Tours apply. For children, families and holders of a GA travelcard or Half-Fare travelcard, the best possible terms are applied. Any rounding differences will be a maximum of CHF 0.57 for the published prices.
- All prices include VAT.
- The full price of the package that has been arranged must be paid on booking. In the case of telephone bookings, payment must be made within 3 days or when the travel documentation is collected at the latest. For automated bookings and bookings made over the Internet, payment must be made on booking.
- It is possible that for certain offers a security deposit may have to be paid. Details can be found in the relevant trip description.
- If the deadlines for payment are not adhered to, RailAway AG has the right to withhold your services, withdraw from the contract and demand the handling fees and cancellation charges described in Section 6.
- If you wish to change the travel schedule or the number of participants or cancel the trip, you must inform your booking office immediately and return any travel documents you have already received.
- A handling fee of CHF 20.– will be charged in the event of any change to the travel schedule, a reduction in the number of participants, or the cancellation or postponement of the date of travel.
Changes, cancellations or refunds are not possible for offers purchased at the leisure shop. Please consult section 9: Special conditions for the purchase of OnlineTickets via the leisure shop.
If one of the reasons for refund specified here should apply then Public Transport Tickets and/or Leisure Tickets can be refunded within 30 days of the expiry of the validity period. Please note that refund charges may be levied based on the applicable tariffs.
- In addition to the handling fee, the following cancellation charges will be applied: 5 - 2 days before start of trip: 50% of the cost of the package; 1 - 0 days before start of trip: 80% of the cost of the package; no-show: 100% of the cost of the package. In the case of cancellation of transportation services only, on scheduled trains, chair lifts, ski lifts etc. during normal operating hours, the cost of the unused services will be refunded, provided that - in the event of a full or partial cancellation or a reduced number of participants - the tickets are returned to the booking office before the agreed start date for the trip, or else the actual number of participants is unanimously confirmed by the railway and by the contracting partners (in the case of a reduced number of participants). In this case only the handling fee of CHF 20.– will be charged.
- The cancellation charges are calculated from the date on which the booking office received notification of the change.
- The conditions as per section 9 apply to purchases via the leisure shop.
- RailAway AG expressly reserves the right to change prices and descriptions in brochures, leaflets, flyers, the electronic media etc. before your booking is made. You will be told about these changes when you book.
- Changes after booking before the start of the trip:
- Prices can be increased after booking and before the start of the trip, if transportation costs rise, state duties (such as taxes etc.) or fees (such as security charges etc.) are increased or new ones introduced, or as a result of exchange rate changes. The agreed travel prices will be increased accordingly.
- RailAway AG reserves the right to change the schedule or specific services if this proves necessary for reasons of force majeure, or unpredictable or unavoidable circumstances. RailAway AG will endeavour to provide an alternative service of equivalent value. The booking office will inform you of such changes as quickly as possible and of their effect on the price.
- For package tours, in the event of price increases as described in Section 7.2.1, Art. 7 and 8 paragraph 2 of the Law on Package Tours shall apply, and, in the case of alternative measures as described in Section 7.2.2, paragraph 13 of the Law on Package Tours applies.
RailAway AG is entitled to change the travel schedule during the trip if this proves necessary for reasons of force majeure, or unpredictable or unavoidable circumstances. Any additional costs will be charged to the travellers, unless RailAway AG was to blame for causing the change to the schedule. For package tours regulated by the Federal Law on Package Tours (PRG), the conditions of Art. 12 ff. PRG apply.
- Cancellation or curtailment of the trip by RailAway AG:
- RailAway AG is entitled to cancel or curtail the trip if participants give them good reason by their actions or failure to behave properly. They reserve the right to charge a handling fee and cancellation costs as described in Sections 6.1 and 6.2. If the trip is curtailed there can be no reimbursement for the unused travel services.
- RailAway AG is entitled to cancel or curtail the trip if unforeseeable or unavoidable events, force majeure (environmental conditions, natural disasters etc.), official action, strikes etc. make the trip significantly more difficult, dangerous or impossible. If the trip is cancelled before it has started, RailAway AG will reimburse the price already paid, provided there are no further claims. If the trip is curtailed, the cost of the unused services will be reimbursed, unless RailAway AG has been invoiced for these services by the service providers. We reserve the right to add any additional costs that may be incurred.
- For package tours, Art. 10 paragraphs 4 and 11 ff of the Law on Package Tours apply
- Any deficiencies in complying with the terms of the travel agent's or tour operator's contract must be reported in writing to the relevant service provider within 30 days of the end of the trip. In the event of a complaint being made in situ during the trip, the service provider in question will try to find an appropriate solution.
- In the case of a package tour, RailAway AG, Lucerne, as the tour agent or operator, should also be informed immediately in the same way. Complaints relating to a package tour are regulated by Art. 12 of the Law on Package Tours.
The following conditions apply to purchases via the leisure shop:
- Exchange, refund.
Public Transport OnlineTickets and/or Leisure OnlineTickets purchased exclusively through the leisure shop can be neither refunded nor exchanged.
- Double booking (identical ticket date, surname and first name of ticket holder; for a Public Transport OnlineTicket also identical route and date of birth).
- OnlineTickets with an incorrect date, provided the journey to the destination on the ticket is no longer possible on this day according to the timetable at the time of the refund. This also applies for leisure services that can no longer be used at the time of the refund. The refund can only be made if it can be proven that the correct ticket was subsequently purchased.
- The difference in price of the ticket purchased on site shall not be refunded.
- Proven inability to travel (illness, accident or death).
- For individuals travelling with another person or with family (parent with child), all tickets shall be refunded as long as it can be proven that no one used the tickets.
- No seats available in first class (only for Public Transport OnlineTickets for first class travel and with written confirmation from the train crew)
- Proven unavailability of part of the service because the relevant provider had to cancel the service at short notice due to technical or other objectively explicable reasons (e.g. route closure, closure due to weather conditions).
- Forgotten/lost OnlineTickets/RFID card (SwissPass, RailAway Skicard), blue Half-Fare or GA travelcard, point-to-point travelcard: If you forget or lose your Leisure OnlineTicket/RFID card, the blue Half-Fare or GA travelcard or the point-to-point travelcard, you have to purchase a new ticket on site at the normal price. The difference in price of the ticket purchased on site shall not be refunded. The unused Leisure OnlineTicket can be refunded using the refund request form.
- Time limit for claiming refunds.
If one of the reasons for refund specified here should apply then Public Transport OnlineTickets and/or Leisure OnlineTickets from the leisure shop can be refunded within 30 days of the expiry of the validity period. Please note that refund charges may be levied based on the applicable tariffs.
- Refund application.
Refund applications cannot be accepted and processed at ticket counters. Checking and refunds are carried out exclusively by RailAway AG in Lucerne.
The refund application can be sent electronically by e-mail or by post to:
Swiss Federal Railways SBB
- PDF Reader.
A PDF Reader needs to be installed on the computer on which the OnlineTickets are printed. Please print the tickets via the print function of a PDF Reader (e.g. Adobe Reader) and not via the print function of the web browser. Free download Adobe Reader
- OnlineTickets must be printed with a size of 100% (unscaled) on white, previously unwritten paper of the A4 portrait (upright) format. A printout in black and white is sufficient for ticket control purposes. Changes in print size are not allowed. Smudged or incomplete printouts are not accepted as valid. We recommend downloading and printing a test ticket prior to the first purchase of an OnlineTicket. Further information can be found in the “Technical requirements” and “FAQ leisure shop” (frequently asked questions) documents.
- Printer types.
For printing the OnlineTickets, please use only a laser or inkjet printer with a resolution of at least 600 dpi. OnlineTickets printed or copied on a fax machine or other device are not accepted as valid. OnlineTickets that are not perfectly legible are not valid for travel. Passengers travelling with such tickets are treated as passengers without a valid ticket in accordance with the provisions of Art. 20 of the Passenger Transport Law.
- Obligation to prove one’s identity.
OnlineTickets are personal and non-transferable. They are valid only in combination with a valid official proof of identity of the person travelling (passport or identity card). This proof of identity must be shown to the ticket inspectors together with the OnlineTicket. On journeys within Switzerland, a valid Half-Fare travelcard or GA travelcard belonging to the person travelling can also be produced instead of an official proof of identity. With reduced travelcards, the corresponding legitimation (e.g. Half-Fare travelcard) must always be produced.
- Ticket control.
Customers must be in possession of a valid OnlineTicket before the start of their journey (scheduled departure time of the train).
As well as the official identification document and/or the Half-Fare travelcard/GA travelcard, the Leisure OnlineTicket must also be presented to the ticket inspectors on the train and the service provider on site. The e-mail confirmation does not count as a valid travel document. If you are unable to produce a valid Leisure and/or Public Transport OnlineTicket then you must buy a ticket en route. In such cases passengers are normally liable to pay a surcharge.
- Duration of validity.
The duration of validity of OnlineTickets can deviate from the validity of tickets bought at a ticket counter or ticket vending machine. The OnlineTickets are valid for just one calendar day per journey.
- On long-distance services the dates of the outward and return journeys can normally be several days apart. The customer selects the dates within the range specified.
- On regional services (network areas) the Public Transport OnlineTicket is always limited to one day (validity date of leisure offer).
- Should the customer require both a long-distance ticket and a regional ticket (for transfer) then the regional ticket applies on the date of the outward journey.
- The dates of travel must be specified at the time of purchase. No changes or refunds are possible thereafter (cf. 9.1 above).
- Normally, OnlineTickets can be purchased at the earliest 30 days before travel.
- Technical requirements.
Further technical requirements for the purchase of OnlineTickets can be found here.
- FAQ leisure shop and contact.
Should any problems occur and for all questions concerning the booking or the OnlineTickets from the leisure shop a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) is available. Direct queries can be submitted via the contact form.
- The RailAway Skicard enables problem-free admission to almost all ski areas. It can be programmed with new validity dates at any time and can therefore be used for several years. The RailAway Skicard is available exclusively from the leisure shop for a fee of 5 francs. The RailAway Skicard will be sent to you by post after 2 to 3 working days. The fee is not refundable if you return the RailAway Skicard. The person booking is responsible for looking after the RailAway Skicard carefully. A visually defective or lost RailAway Skicard will not be replaced free of charge, nor will the fee be returned.
- Provided a valid ski pass has been loaded onto the RailAway Skicard, the RailAway Skicard will allow you to access the mountain railway through the turnstile. Important: as the RailAway Skicard is personal and is not transferable, a personal ID as well as any discount cards, such as the Half-Fare travelcard and GA travelcard must be shown to any checking staff.
- Prices and payment terms and conditions.
The prices for the tickets (PT journey and leisure service) are published on the Internet at https://leisure.sbb.ch/. The prices for the tickets are per person and include VAT, if nothing is stated to the contrary. If a ski pass loaded onto the RailAway Skicard is not used or is only partially used, the unused days are forfeited and are neither refunded nor carried over to the next season. Where there are different fare details in the individual brochures and electronic media, the specifications based on the current publication on the Internet https://leisure.sbb.ch/apply. The services (with or without PT travel and leisure service) are paid via credit card or PostFinance Card.
The addresses are transmitted electronically and remain the property of RailAway AG. The person booking declares their agreement that the addresses can be used for marketing purposes. The agreement can be revoked at any time.
- The SwissPass enables contactless admission to almost all ski areas. It can be programmed with new validity dates at any time. The SwissPass is available at your usual point of sale. With an initial purchase or renewal of a GA or Half-Fare travelcard, you receive the SwissPass automatically and free of charge. If you do not have such a travelcard, you can buy the SwissPass for 10 francs. The person booking is responsible for looking after the SwissPass carefully. A visually defective or lost SwissPass will be replaced for a fee.
Provided a valid ski pass has been loaded onto the SwissPass, the SwissPass will allow you to pass through the turnstile and access the mountain railway. Important: as the SwissPass is personal and is not transferable, a personal ID as well as any discount cards, such as the Half-Fare travelcard and GA travelcard must be shown to any checking staff if these are not already on the SwissPass.
- Prices and payment terms and conditions.
The prices for the tickets (PT journey and leisure service) are published on the Internet at https://leisure.sbb.ch/. The prices for the tickets are per person and include VAT, if nothing is stated to the contrary. If a ski pass loaded onto the SwissPass is not used or is only partially used, the unused days are forfeited and are neither refunded nor carried over to the next season. Where there are different fare details in the individual brochures and electronic media, the specifications based on the current publication on the Internet https://leisure.sbb.ch/ apply. The services (with or without public transport travel and leisure service) are paid via credit card or PostFinance Card.
The SwissPass provides a convenient and flexible way to manage your travelcard data. In addition to the GA or Half-Fare travelcard, the SwissPass also offers access to partner services, allowing RailAway offers to now also be loaded onto the SwissPass.
After the customer accepts the SwissPass T&Cs, the following information on Snow’n’Rail purchases is provided to RailAway AG: the name, address and item purchased of the person booking are electronically transmitted and remain in the possession of RailAway AG. The person booking declares their agreement that this information can be used for marketing purposes. The agreement can be revoked at any time.
- All further details on the SwissPass can be found at swisspass.ch.
- For the refund of a RailAway offer that was loaded onto the SwissPass, the terms listed under section 9 “Special conditions for the purchase of OnlineTickets via the leisure shop” shall apply.
- Under a travel agent's contract, RailAway AG, Lucerne, is only liable to an individual traveller for proper execution of its responsibilities. RailAway AG, Lucerne, cannot be held liable for ordinary negligence, culpability on the part of the individual traveller, third-party culpability or force majeure. The relevant organisers or service providers are solely responsible for the proper execution of the trip and/or the service in question.
- Under a tour operator's contract, RailAway AG, Lucerne, is liable for the proper execution of the contract in accordance with the relevant legal requirements. RailAway AG, cannot be held liable for ordinary negligence, culpability on the part of the individual traveller, third-party culpability or force majeure.
- Liability for non-fulfilment or incomplete fulfilment of the package travel contract is based on the relevant provisions of the Package Travel Act. Liability on behalf of RailAway AG, Lucerne, for damages other than injury to persons is limited to double the package value, with the exception of intentional damages or those resulting from gross negligence.
- Addresses remain in the possession of RailAway AG and may be used for marketing purposes. There will be no correspondence regarding the competition. The drawing will be made in camera. There is no right of appeal. The winners are notified in writing. SBB and RailAway AG employees are excluded from the competition.
- The relationship between you and RailAway AG is governed solely by Swiss law. The latest version of the T&Cs that applies to your contract with RailAway AG can be found on the RailAway AG website at www.sbb.ch/railaway-gtc.
- The sole place of jurisdiction is the city of Lucerne, Switzerland.
© RailAway AG, Lucerne, 1 October 2015