Up-to-date information on SBB Rail Catering.
In line with the current FOPH measures to contain the coronavirus, you must present a valid Covid certificate to visit SBB Restaurants.
Covid certificate rules.
Covid certificates are given to people who have either tested negative, recovered from Covid or been vaccinated. Covid certificates are only valid in combination with a photo ID (e.g. passport, ID, SwissPass, residence permit, driving licence). The type of Covid certificate you have will determine how long it is valid for.
- Recovered: 180 days.
- Vaccinated: 365 days.
- Tested (rapid antigen test): 48 hours from when the sample was taken.
- Tested (PCR test): 72 hours from when the sample was taken.
Please show your Covid certificate and a valid ID to our service staff at your seat.
You do not need a Covid certificate if you are under 16 years old, purchasing from our takeaway range or passing through the dining car to get to the next compartment.For more information, please visit the FOPH coronavirus page. Link opens in new window.
Other restrictions on rail catering.
- Trains in Switzerland are subject to compulsory certification.
- On trains with two SBB Restaurants, one SBB Restaurant will be open at a time.
- SBB Restaurants on the IC51 line between Biel and Basel are not currently in operation.
- On international rail services, SBB Restaurants are open on the Swiss section of the route.
- On selected routes to Germany, our dishes are available for both takeaway and at-seat service on the German section of the route. Takeaway and at-seat service options are available on the following routes: (German section of the route)
- EC 6: Interlaken Ost–Osnabrück
- EC 7: Osnabrück–Interlaken Ost
- EC 8: Zürich HB–Hamburg
- EC 9: Hamburg–Zürich HB
- The opening of catering services on further routes in our neighbouring countries will be coordinated with and checked against the guidelines in the respective country.
- SBB restaurants are open on the Zurich - Munich route.
- In Italy, the SBB restaurants are closed. Our dishes are available as take-away as well as in-seat service on the Italian section.